Walking through the streets of NYC I see women with their hair down and wonder how can they do it? How can they have all that hair down with this heat? I cannot have all my hair down during such scorching hot summer days. I just want to chop it off (anyone with me?)
But, instead of chopping it, just style it! It has always been easy for me to attempt different styles on my hair. I enjoy trying it all from messy buns, fishtail braids, side braids, and my everyone’s favorite, effortless waves.
My go-to style at the moment takes me no longer than 15 minutes. A top knot with messy waves looks great on long, short or medium hair, creating this style is super easy and it keeps the hair off your face. You have probably seen and read many Pinterest posts about how to create the perfect topknot, but if you haven’t, here is the way I’ve mastered the look!
- Any hairstyle works best on second-day hair. I always like to prep my hair with several types of sprays. At the moment my favorite shampoo is Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Dry Shampoo. You can apply this on the crown and the sides of your hair, make sure to message the spray into your roots thoroughly. I then sprayed some Tresemmé Heat Tamer Spray and Garnier’s Sleek Primer Style Prep. A texturing spray like this can also give your hair lots of volume.
- Once you are done applying all sprays, part your hair into a half up half down style, the parting does not have to be perfect. Twist the hair like you see in picture 2. Grab the middle and keep twisting as you start to form a bun.
- Your bun should resemble a small doughnut, once your bun is styled how you like it, insert several bobby pins to hold the style.
- Play around with the bun you have, expand it by slowly pulling the hair from all sides.
- Now that you have a perfect bun, grab straps of hair one by one and curl your hair like you see in step 5. Allow space between the strays of hair, this will give you lose curls.
- Once you have curled all the hair, run your fingers through it all. The last step is to add more texturing spray.
If you are tired of that same old ponytail definitely try this style out. What is one hairstyle you want to master? share with us in the comment section.